Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Freelance Travel Writing Topics: Wright Brothers National Memorial

My dogs and I left the public beach in Nags Head and traveled over to the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills. It was still a chilly morning. I paid the entrance fee and once again inquired about the pet policies. I was told my dogs could get out to walk if on a lead. They could not enter the public buildings.

So, I adjusted my minivan windows, checked that the water bowls and treats were adequate and left Red to protect the van and his new sister. Red is very good-natured at 102 pounds. However, he started in 2006 to take it upon himself to guard our vehicle. So, Red was content to stay in the van and take on this latest assignment. Upon leaving the two dogs, I went across the parking area to the exhibition hall. When I went inside, I was pleased to find that a presentation on the Wright Brothers was just beginning in the auditorium.

It was very informative and I learned a great deal about the Wright Brothers and their planes. For instance, I learned that these two men originated from Dayton, Ohio. Also, and more importantly, why they chose Kitty Hawk for their test flights. Finally, on December 17, 1903, Orville Wright flew his 1903 flyer for 12 seconds in the air and it traveled 120 feet. The morning presenter made the point in which the flyer was later housed at The Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. There the plane was displayed at a height greater than it ever flew at Kitty Hawk. A replica is displayed in the memorial auditorium.

After the presentation, I decided to check on the dogs who were doing fine. I walked them around for a minute or two, then again put the puppy in the van due to the cold air. I continued with Red to make the trek with me to the monument. I thought it would only be a quick walk from the parking lot, so I omitted to grab a waste bag for Red. Of course, not long after we started over to the monument, Red needed to let nature take its course. I asked him if he could wait, but nothing doing. After the deed was done, I turned him back towards the van to get a doggie waste bag. No sooner had we turned around when a security guard rode over in his vehicle. I explained that I was going back to my vehicle to get the needed bag. He nodded and let me proceed. I also asked him if the bag could be placed in a trash can? He said they preferred that I take it with me.

Once at the van, I decided to leave Red with his new sister Natasha. Then I went back to pick up after Red. As I had to return the bag to the van, I made the decision to leave instead of making a third trip out to see the monument. I learned my lesson and now keep a good supply of baggies on hand when traveling with my pets. I photographed the monument on the historic Kill Devil Hill and then we headed out to further explore the Outer Banks region.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption