Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

Starting Up Your Own Business

Have you ever wondered if you had what it takes to start up your own business? I am living proof that it often only takes an idea and a small fee to apply for a Doing Business As (DBA) permit with your local city and /or county offices.

For many years now, I had contemplated various business ideas. For example, becoming a petsitter. I even downloaded trial software for a month, to see what would be needed to start up this type of business. I researched and read all I could find on the subject. I paid particular attention to the monetary costs and the potential pitfalls. The need for insurance and/or bonding held me back due to my financial circumstances at the time. Also, I became hesitate due to the responsibilities of entering clients' homes. Suppose a theft took place on my watch? It discouraged me from continuing. However, I would pet sit for friends and family.

So, I continued to work for employers rather than to become self-employed. Then, this year, I finally settled on starting Jeanne Armonk Enterprises. I was amazed at the relative ease of applying and paying for the DBA permit to get started. Writing and reading are passions of mine and it became an easy choice to decide on starting a freelance writing service.

Much assistance can be found at local libraries, the IRS, the local community college business center and the Small Business Administration itself. In April 2008, I attended a small business exposition in Poughkeepsie, New York. In speaking with local entrepreneurs, I was motivated to reach out to achieve my goal. I was able to attain it within 11 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption